Saturday, 8 March 2014

Alvin Collum York

I recently watched a movie, 'The Leatherheads' that made me read about Alvin York. Portions of that movie was (loosely) based on him. Googling him, I found his info on wikipedia.

The introductory notes, "Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 – September 2, 1964) was one of the most decorated American soldiers in World War I. He received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others." got my attention, and I thought, 'only a man with the Holy Spirit can do this', cos it was so much like what David did.

In case you don't know, the medal of honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government.

My suspicion of his Christian background was confirmed as I read further. The online encyclopedia had the following to say about a violent drunk who gave his life to Christ: "Despite his history of drinking and fighting, York attended church regularly and often led the hymn singing. A revival meeting at the end of 1914 led him to a conversion experience on January 1, 1915."

When asked by his divisional commander, General George B. Duncan, in 1919, to comment on his war feats, he said "A higher power than man power guided and watched over me and told me what to do."

As incredible as this seems, it's a true life story. Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment